KARUIZAWA, NAGANO, JAPAN
November 19, 2009
China won Gold, Japan took Silver and Korea won the Bronze in both the men’s and women’s competitions at the Pacific Curling Championships 2009.
In the women’s final Team China skipped by reigning women’s world champion Bingyu Wang met Team Japan (Moe Meguro). Final score: 10-3. Both China and Japan have secured the World Curling Federation Pacific Zone qualification places at the Ford World Women’s Curling Championships 2010 in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada (20-28 March).
In the men’s final Team China (Fengchun Wang) faced Japan skipped by Yusuke Morozumi from Karuizawa. Final score: 8-3. Both China and Japan are now through to the Capital One World Men’s Curling Championship 2010, in Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy (3-11 April).
The Bronze medal games saw Korea against New Zealand in the women’s (Final score: 8-5) and Korea against Australia in the men’s (Final score: 8-7)
Pacific Curling Championships 2009 – FINAL STANDINGS
1. CHINA (Skip: Fengchun Wang) - Gold & qualification for WMCC 2010
2. JAPAN (Skip: Yusuke Morozumi) - Silver & qualification for WMCC 2010
3. KOREA (Skip: Chang Min Kim) - Bronze
4. AUSTRALIA (Skip: Hugh Millikin)
5. NEW ZEALAND (Skip: Dan Mustapic)
6. CHINESE TAIPEI (Skip: Randie Shen)
1. CHINA (Skip: Bingyu Wang) - Gold & qualification for WWCC 2010
2. JAPAN (Skip: Moe Meguro) - Silver & qualification for WWCC 2010
3. KOREA (Skip: Yeomyeomg Kim) - Bronze
4. NEW ZEALAND (Skip: Bridget Becker)
5. AUSTRALIA (Skip: Kim Forge)
Full results from the event can be seen here:
NOTES TO EDITORS
- This was the 19th Pacific Curling Championships (PCC)
- The event was staged in the SCAP Karuizawa Arena, next to the venue which hosted the curling for the Olympic Winter Games in Nagano in 1998.
- Standings from the 2008 PCC event in Naseby, New Zealand.
o Men: 1-CHN 2-JPN 3-NZL 4-KOR 5-AUS 6-TPE.
o Women: 1-CHN 2-KOR 3-JPN 4-NZL 5-AUS.
- Team China, skipped by Bingyu Wang, won Gold at the Mount Titlis World Women’s Curling Championship 2009, in Gangneung, Korea.
- Team Japan, skipped by Moe Meguro, has been confirmed as the Japanese women’s Olympic curling team for the Winter Games in Vancouver 2010.
- China’s National Olympic Committee is set to confirm Olympic teams at the end of December 2009.